Thursday, October 23, 2014

Two interesting tweets from #gamergate, Felicity Day, Popehat, and more!

I don't follow Gamergate closely for many reasons, and was thinking I would stop today. Then I saw a couple of tweets early in my feed that reminded me it's a much more vibrant affair than its opponents claim. The following aren't meant to be "best", they're just evidence that stories are never as simple as opponents think.

Also, something I've been thinking for ages: Gawker should be called Mocker. It's designed to appeal to the worst in people who want to think they're the best.
This is the conclusion to The Only Thing I Have To Say About Gamer Gate | Felicia's Melange:
I know it feels good to belong to a group, to feel righteous in belonging to a cause, but causing fear and pushing people away from gaming is not the way to go about doing it. Think through the repercussions of your actions and the people you are aligning yourself with. And think honestly about whether your actions are genuinely going to change gaming life for the better. Or whether they’re just going to make someone cross the street away from you. And away from something, ironically, that we both love.
She's addressing the GG crowd, but it could as easily be to the anti-GG folks. There's viciousness and self-righteousness on both sides. Both sides get death threats. Both sides get doxxed. People on both sides characterize the other by the worst that a few of them do. The ironic bit is she speaks of driving people away from gaming, but the anti-gamergate people are the ones who denounced gamers as a group, turning a small flamewar into an enormous one. It's a culture war, and from what I've seen of culture wars, warriors fight, but their fighting is ultimately irrelevant.

I'm a left-libertarian and ClarkHat is a right-libertarian, so I disagree with some of his interpretations, but I agree with the broader strokes of his analysis in Gamer Gate: Three Stages to Obit | Popehat.

Body cameras can vindicate cops, too - The Washington Post: "When Frazier ordered Griego to step out of the restroom, she began accusing him of sexual misconduct. "

A leftist critique of social justice warriors: #BringBackOurDiscourse | Orchestrated Pulse