Friday, September 19, 2014

Valid criticism of my SJW book

I checked for new reviews today at Amazon and noticed some recurring observations:

1. The book is heavily focussed on science fiction fandom.

2. It feels like a collection of blog posts.

3. It doesn't have a lot of original insight (though the people who note that tend to add that it has some good lines, so that pleases me).

To which I say yep, all true.

1. It focuses on scifi for two reasons:

a. That's the field I know.

b. I never thought the SJW phenomenon would spread as far as it has, but in retrospect, it makes sense that it has. I never would've thought Scientology would've spread as far as it has, but simplistic explanations promoted by persuasive people can last for thousands of years.

2. It was a collection of blog posts. I made a couple of passes to eliminate redundancy and try to give it some order, but it's ultimately a collection of blog posts.

3. I'm not sure there's anything original to be said about SJWs because they're not a new phenomenon. They're merely a new spin on an old phenomenon. People who think they can change the world by attacking popular culture and limiting what others may say or do have always been with us, and may always be with us. Right-wingers like to say SJWs are "cultural Marxists", but they owe as much to McCarthyites as Maoists. While SJW politics are left of the political right, they tend to be right of the political left. They're not exactly centrists, but as David Harvey, an actual Marxist, has noted, identitarianism and neoliberalism can go hand-in-hand.

So I agree with the people who say there's still a book to be written about the spread of SJW influence from scifi fandom to the atheist and gaming communities. Maybe gamergate will inspire that book, and if my book helps its writer, I'll be pleased.