Thursday, September 11, 2014

Two more Amazon reviews for my SJW book

First included for objectivity, second included because authors are pathetic when it comes to praise.




3.0 out of 5 stars
 not too bad July 18, 2014
Verified Purchase
Heavy on Shetterly's experiences getting into internet arguments; heavy on quotes from others who have won internet arguments; somewhat lighter on original analysis of the social justice warrior phenomenon, which is what I was hoping for. The book didn't quite meet my expectations but it will probably satisfy those looking for a capsule summary of many now famous internet kerfluffles. Quite witty in places too. 3/5.
5.0 out of 5 stars God love him, though August 26, 2014
Verified Purchase
This book made my blood boil. Every time he recounted an incidence of someone deliberately ignoring half of what he said, to latch onto the other half of what he'd said, but in a way that deliberately twisted his words into something completely different, I wanted to grab the assailant by the lapels and scream in their face.

God love him, though, Shetterly has the patience of Job. He carefully figures out the background of everyone who said something hateful to him, and teases out the reasons that they said the awful things they said. He patiently explains all of the context behind why they had the impressions they had, and carefully and gently explains where things went wrong for them. I would never have the patience he did--I would have gone crazy long before I could do that.

This book makes me incredibly angry, but it also makes so many things that much clearer to me.