Thursday, August 28, 2014

All I care to say about Anita Sarkeesian

Just left this comment at a friend's Facebook regarding Sarkeesian driven out of home by online abuse and death threats:
I confess, I would love to know how much money she makes. She has the same problem Tim Wise has: the more drama, the more profit. Doesn't mean the problems she brings up aren't real. But this is her career, and that makes it right to ask hard questions. We do know the social justice community has people who suffer from Munchausen syndrome. We also know there are awful people on the internet. I don't think the Tim Wises and Anita Sarkeesians ultimately help anyone other than themselves. Which doesn't justify treating anyone awfully, if anyone was actually treated awfully.

Having gotten death threats from people on her side, I confess I'm not as sympathetic to her allegations as perhaps I should be. On the other hand, I think her approach to justice is fundamentally flawed.
Possibly relevant: Hoax hate crimes: cheaters, Munchausen syndrome, and social justice warriors

ETA: Regarding Munchausen syndrome and social justice warriors, it's possible the tweets are coming from an ally that Sarkeesian doesn't know who thinks this helps their cause. One example: The Double Identity of an "Anti-Semitic" Commenter | Common Dreams.

ETA 2:



(Update #3) You Stole My Artwork: An Open Letter to Anita Sarkeesian - RESOLVED - Cowkitty.net. While the case has been resolved, it appears Sarkeesian has yet to prove that she's not operating a for-profit business.

Anita Sarkeesian, I Love You. But Please Show Us The Money - ReadWrite

ETA 3: Well, if I did want to say something more about Anita Sarkeesian

Hmm. And if I said more about Anita Sarkeesian, I would cite this.