Saturday, April 26, 2014

blocked at the Atlantic, BUT NOT by Noah Berlatsky

ETA: Berlatsky says in the comments it wasn't him.

At Star Wars and the 4 Ways Science Fiction Handles Race - Noah Berlatsky - The Atlantic, I had left two comments:
Why do people assume there will be distinct races in the future? It sounds like a segregationist's fantasy.
and
The modern concept of race is barely 500 years old. Why should it still be with us in the far—or not-so-far—future?
Today, I got a notice that Devin Parker had replied,
Ideally, it wouldn't, or at the least, it wouldn't be a stigmatizing factor instead of just one facet of a person's identity. But science fiction isn't written for people in the future; it's written for people right now, and speaks to our current thoughts, concerns, worries and hopes. And if race isn't really an issue in these invented futures, why do most of our science fiction films and TV shows about those futures still depict a majority of white people as the cast, especially in the role of the main character?
I wrote this in response:
I completely agree that all art is made for the present. But casting is a different issue: why does Hollywood mostly cast white people? Why does Bollywood mostly cast Indians? Why does Hong Kong mostly cast Asians? Is a mostly-Indian or a mostly-Chinese science fiction show racist?

That said, I also agree that visual f&sf tends to be unimaginative about the depiction of race in the future. But so long as we live in a capitalist society, moviemakers will cast for profitability rather than ideology.
When I tried to post it, I got this message:
We are unable to post your comment because you have been blocked by The Atlantic.
Critical Race Theorists like Berlatsky go very quickly from ignoring their opponents to laughing at them to fighting them by silencing them with whatever tools they have at hand. I suppose I should be flattered.

ETA: Yes, I had thought I was done with social justice warriors. But clearly, they are not done with me, so this blog may have more posts.